On 23 April – World Book Day – CEATL, the European Council of Literary Translators’ Associations, launched a picture contest: ‘The Face of Translation’. For this contest CEATL is calling on amateur visual artists to create sparky and clever pictures reflecting the existence and importance of literary translations and translators, their challenges, and their role in literature. Any technique from photography, drawing, printmaking and painting can be used – as well as any topic, as long as it is in some way related to literary translation. One digital picture per participant will be accepted.
CEATL would like to remind you that the deadline for the contest will be 22 May 2016.
A €200 voucher for dinner and books will be awarded to the winner before International Translation Day, September 30, 2016.
After the enthusiastic response to our previous ‘Translation, Everywhere (http://www NULL.ceatl NULL.eu/translation-everywhere-photo-contest)’ photo contest and our ‘Spot the Translator (http://www NULL.ceatl NULL.eu/third-ceatl-video-contest-to-promote-the-visibility-of-literary-translators)’ video contest, CEATL hopes that this new picture contest will appeal to many budding visual artists.
Help us make literary translators visible!
Send us your proposal and win a €200 voucher. And not only that – your image could appear in the next CEATL Translation Day card!
- All entries shall be submitted to email@example.com before 22 May 2016.
- Only one entry per participant is allowed.
- If the entry features any text in a language other than English or French, this text must be translated into English and/or French.
- 300 dpi digital photographs/artwork scans (2-3 MB) in JPEG format are accepted.
- CEATL reserves the right to use the winning picture to promote literary translators, for instance, as the image for CEATL’s Translation Day postcard. It is understood that the winner will give permission for their picture to be used for that purpose. Should CEATL wish to use other pictures for promotional purposes, the permission of the artist/artists shall be requested. CEATL will not pass the pictures to any third parties other than CEATL member associations. CEATL will not use the pictures for economic profit.
- CEATL will post all the contest pictures to an open Facebook event page where everybody can ‘like’ their favourite one.
- The CEATL jury will consider five pictures that collect the most likes by May 29, and will choose a winner from among them.
- CEATL member associations may exhibit the pictures and organize press conferences promoting the winning picture.
- CEATL delegates and honorary members are not allowed to take part in the contest.
- The winner will be announced in June 2016, and awarded a prize of a 200-Euro voucher for dinner and books.
- Offensive pictures will be removed from the contest. The jury has the right not to award the prize, or to split it between two participants in the event of a tie. The jury will not enter into correspondence (or any other contact) with participants about its decision.