On 12-13 April 2018 the Department of English of the University of Extremadura in Cáceres (Spain) will organise an international conference on Beckett’s presence in Spanish cultural life over the last sixty years, with special attention to the Spanish renditions of his works.
Although almost all of Beckett’s novels, dramatic works, prose and poetic texts have been translated into Spanish, the quality of these versions varies greatly. Apart from that, many of Beckett’s emblematic texts are now out of print and others are found in very limited editions. This conference intends to provide a forum for debate about the translations of Beckett’s works into Spanish, so that conclusions of the studies presented may contribute to future research and reception of his works.
Interdisciplinary proposals, either in Spanish, French or English, on the following topics (but not exclusively) are welcome:
- Translations of Samuel Beckett’s works into Spanish and other peninsular languages: An analysis of particular cases and the state of the arts
- Samuel Beckett and bilingualism in his works
- Beckett and self-translation into English and French
- Samuel Beckett’s reception in Spain
- Censorship of Samuel Beckett’s works in Spain
- Critical trends in the interpretation of Samuel Beckett’s works
Proposals should be sent by e-mail to the following address: email@example.com (samuel_beckett null@null unex NULL.es) and should include:
- title of the paper
- participant’s name, institutional affiliation and e-mail address
- 200-300-word abstract
Deadline for submission: 30 September 2017
For more information, please click here.